Spain – Listeria outbreak hits Spain, Most in Andalusia – Pork Meatloaf

Outbreak News Today Products from La Mechá that have been taken off the market.

An outbreak of listeriosis in Spain has sickened about 155 people to date, killing one, according to the health authorities. The Spanish Health Ministry said it was looking into another 523 suspected cases.

The outbreak has primarily affected Andalusia in the Seville region; however, cases have also been recorded in Asturias, Extremadura, Madrid, Catalonia and Aragon.

Unfortunately, a 90-year-old Andalusia woman has become the first fatal victim.

The Spanish Agency for Food Safety and Nutrition (AESAN) has already warned about a roasted meat product of the brand “La Mechá” made by Magrudis SL not to consume it.

El Pais

An outbreak of listeriosis in Spain caused by meat produced by a firm in the southern Spanish province of Seville is now having international repercussions. The country’s Health Ministry has activated alert and communication systems with the European authorities and the World Health Organization (WHO) “given the possibility that cases might be detected in other countries.” The move, according to ministerial sources, is a precaution in case any tourists visiting the country may have contracted the infection after consuming contaminated products in Spain. So far there have been no registered cases outside of the country.

The current outbreak of the bacterial infection has its source in pork meatloaf – known in Spanish as ‘carne mechada’

The current outbreak of the bacterial infection has its source in pork meatloaf – known in Spanish as carne mechada – sold under the brand name La Mechá, and produced by the Seville-based company Magrudis S.L.

A total of 53 people – including 23 pregnant women – are currently hospitalized in Andalusia due to the bacterial infection, three of whom are in intensive care. So far, one person has died from the outbreak: a 90-year-old woman who passed away in the early hours of Monday in a Seville hospital.

Canada – Updated Food Recall Warning – Reuven International Ltd brand Natural Proportion Cooked Chicken Meat (Diced) and Sysco brand Natural Proportions Cooked Shredded Chicken recalled due to Listeria monocytogenes

CFIA

 

Product Code : 15307

Recall details

Ottawa, August 21, 2019 – The food recall warning issued on August, 18, 2019 has been updated to include additional product information. This additional information was identified during the Canadian Food Inspection Agency’s (CFIA) food safety investigation.

Reuven International Ltd is recalling Reuven International Ltd brand Natural Proportion Cooked Chicken Meat (Diced) and Sysco brand Natural Proportions Cooked Shredded Chicken from the marketplace due to possible Listeria monocytogenes contamination. Consumers should not consume and distributors, retailers and food service establishments such as hotels, restaurants, cafeterias, hospitals and nursing homes should not sell or use the recalled products described below.

Recalled products

Brand Name Common Name Size UPC Code(s) on Product
Reuven International Ltd Natural Proportion Cooked
Chicken Meat (Diced)
(#15307)
4.54 kg 907 63572 15307 1 PACKDATE:
01/21/19
Reuven International Ltd Natural Proportion Cooked
Chicken Meat (Diced)
(#15807)
4.54 kg 907 63572 15807 6 PACKDATE:
01/21/19
Sysco Natural Proportions Cooked
Shredded Chicken
(#15885)
4.54 kg 007 34730 21450 4 PACKDATE:
01/21/19

Turkey – Over 50 tourists hospitalised for suspected food poisoning in Turkey’s Cappadocia

Ahval News

A total of 52 tourists have been hospitalised in a case of suspected food poisoning in Turkey’s central tourism hotspot of Cappadocia.

The tourists staying a hotel in the Kaymaklı district of Nevşehir province began experiencing abdominal pain and nausea in the early morning hours, state-run Anadolu news agency reported on Monday.

Forty-five Chinese and seven Indonesian nationals were taken to nearby hospitals.

The tourists appear to have experienced food poisoning according to preliminary findings, Kaymaklı Mayor Harun Çekiç told Anadolu, adding that officials are conducting an investigation into the case.

RASFF Alert -STEC E.coli – Chilled Beef

RASFF-Logo

RASFF – shigatoxin-producing Escherichia coli (stx1+, stx2+,) in chilled beef from Argentina in Italy

RASFF Alert – Listeria monocytogenes – King Crab

RASFF-Logo

RASFF – Listeria monocytogenes (present /25g) in king crab from Chile in Belgium

India – Pune: 23 students in Katraj fall ill due to food poisoning.

Pune Mirror

Pune: At least 23 students from a city-based school fell ill after consuming the mid-day meal on Wednesday noon.
They were served rice as a part of their mid-day meal, but after some time students started vomiting, while some complained of nausea.

 

 

Kenya – Kieni food poisoning victims fell sick after three days – Four Dead – Vibrio cholerae

The Star

People who died from food poisoning at Rodama in Kieni West, Nyeri County, started experiencing pains diarrhea and abdominal pains three days after eating the food.

• Nderitu said he did not suspect foul play. He said there might have been poor handling of the food which led to contamination.

Four people who died of food poisoning in Rodama, Kieni West, started feeling abdominal pains and had diarrhoea three days after eating food at dowry ceremony.

Mugunda MCA Joseph Nderitu, who was part of the guests, said the event was held on Thursday but people started feeling the symptoms on Saturday.

“Many of the people started complaining of diarrhoea, vomiting and abdominal pains on Saturday,” he said on Monday.

Daily Nation

The Nyeri County health department has increased its surveillance after four people died after eating at a dowry ceremony at Ruirii village in Kieni constituency last Thursday.

Director of Medical Services Nelson Muriu said residents who attended the ceremony trooped to hospitals exhibiting cholera-like symptoms.

The food was outsourced from Kitengela in Kajiado County for the event attended by more than 250 guests from Nyeri and Nairobi counties.

CHOLERA

The groom’s mother who had accompanied her son from Nairobi, died in the city. The bridegroom is receiving treatment at Kenyatta National Hospital.

“The patient at KNH has tested negative for cholera and is being treated for food poisoning,”