May 21, 2019
- Consumers who recently experienced symptoms of foodborne illness after eating raw oysters
- Restaurants that sell raw oysters in California, Nevada, New York, and Arizona
- Oysters harvested from Estero El Cardon, Baja California Sur, Mexico
- Oysters were distributed primarily to California, Nevada, New York, and Arizona
- Oysters were sold to wholesale distributors with direct sales to restaurants and not to grocery retail outlets.
Consumers should not purchase oysters marketed as being harvested from Estero El Cardon, in Baja California Sur, Mexico from restaurants. Consumers who have recently experienced symptoms of foodborne illness should contact their healthcare provider and report their symptoms and receive care.
Restaurants and retailers should not serve oysters from the Estero El Cardon harvest area in Baja California Sur, Mexico. Restaurants and retailers should dispose of any products with harvest tags that indicate a growing area of Estero El Cardon by throwing them away.
Symptoms of Shigella Illness (Shigellosis)
Shigella is a bacterium that spreads from contaminated feces. It often spreads through unclean water that an infected person has been in. Food can become contaminated when handled by an infected person who did not use proper hand hygiene after going to the bathroom, or if contaminated water is used in the process of growing or preparing the food.
Symptoms of shigellosis generally develop within 8 hours or up to about 2 days. Although shigellosis is often mild and goes away by itself in a week or less, it can become very serious in some cases. Severe cases can be treated with certain antibiotics. Symptoms of shigellosis may include watery stool that may have blood, pus, or mucus in it, vomiting, cramping, and fever. Young children, the elderly, and people with a weak immune system are more likely than others to develop severe illness.
If you suspect you have symptoms of shigellosis, contact a health professional.
Posted in food contamination, Food Hygiene, Food Illness, Food Inspections, Food Micro Blog, Food Microbiology, Food Microbiology Blog, Food Pathogen, food recall, Food Safety, Food Safety Alert, Food Testing, Shigatoxin, Shigella, Uncategorized
One person was killed and about 40 others were injured over the weekend after they consumed wild mushrooms and salted crabs in Preah Sihanouk and Battambang provinces.
Seng Nong, director of the Preah Sihanouk Provincial Referral Hospital, yesterday said five people working at the special economic zone were sent to hospital on Friday after they consumed mushrooms, noting that one of the victims died.
“According to them, they used mushrooms in their cooking, and after eating, they began vomiting and having difficulty breathing,” Mr Nong said. “We suspect they had been poisoned by the mushrooms because they ate nothing else but those mushrooms.”
Posted in food contamination, food death, Food Hygiene, Food Illness, Food Inspections, Food Micro Blog, Food Microbiology, Food Microbiology Blog, Food Pathogen, Food Poisoning, Food Safety, Food Testing, Uncategorized
Food Poisoning Bulletin
A new Kwik Trip Del Monte vegetable tray outbreak has sickened three people in Wisconsin and one person in Minnesota with Salmonella food poisoning, according to the Wisconsin Department of Health. Last year, a cyclospora outbreak that was linked to Del Monte vegetable trays, also sold at Kwik Trip and Kwik Star locations in the upper Midwest, sickened at least 250 people.
Posted in Cyclospora, food contamination, food handler, Food Hygiene, Food Illness, Food Inspections, Food Micro Blog, Food Microbiology, Food Microbiology Blog, Food Pathogen, food recall, Food Safety, Food Safety Alert, Food Testing, Salmonella, Uncategorized
Food Poisoning Bulletin
The Massachusetts Department of Public Health is warning consumers that if they ate cold food or uncooked food at Roy Moore’s Fish Shack in Rockport, Massachusetts between April 21 and May 12, 2019 may have been exposed to hepatitis A. A food service employee of the restaurant who worked there during those dates has been confirmed as sick with hepatitis A.
Posted in food contamination, food handler, Food Hygiene, Food Illness, Food Inspections, Food Micro Blog, Food Microbiology, Food Microbiology Blog, Food Pathogen, Food Safety, Food Safety Alert, Food Testing, Food Virus, Hepatitis A, Uncategorized, Virus
A retired fireman is learning to walk again after falling seriously ill during a nightmare holiday. Charles Jackson, 66, almost lost the use of his legs after he contracted E.coli and campylobacter during a trip to Cyprus at the start of December last year. He started to suffer with diarrhoea and fatigue a few days into his trip with wife Julie, 65. On his return to the UK, the father-of-two saw his GP after the symptoms persisted.
Posted in Campylobacter, E.coli, food contamination, Food Hygiene, Food Illness, Food Micro Blog, Food Microbiology, Food Microbiology Blog, Food Pathogen, Food Safety, Food Testing, Uncategorized
Ottawa, May 17, 2019 – The food recall warning issued on May 14, 2019 has been updated to include additional product information. This additional information was identified during the Canadian Food Inspection Agency’s (CFIA) food safety investigation.
DOM International Limited is recalling Dom Reserve brand Atlantic Salmon Strips (Hot Smoked) Cracked Black Pepper from the marketplace due to possible Listeria monocytogenes contamination. Consumers should not consume the recalled product described below.
||Code(s) on Product
||Atlantic Salmon Strips
(Hot Smoked) Cracked Black Pepper
||001996, 002176, 002325, 002371, 02533
All Best Before dates
|7 72945 11150 8
Posted in CFIA, food contamination, Food Hygiene, Food Inspections, Food Micro Blog, Food Microbiology, Food Microbiology Blog, Food Pathogen, food recall, Food Safety, Food Safety Alert, Food Testing, Listeria, Listeria monocytogenes, Uncategorized
The goal of this study was to evaluate factors causing low recovery of Campylobacterduring regulatory sampling following acidified sodium chlorite (ASC) treatment of broiler carcasses and subsequent carry‐over into neutralizing buffered peptone water (nBPW) rinses. Solution alkalinity was shown to positively correlate with the presence of un‐reduced chlorite anion in the recovery broth, implying that low recovery of Campylobacterfrom rinses may be due to residual chlorite, an oxidizing agent. To demonstrate the susceptibility of Campylobacter to residual chlorite, three strains were inoculated into pH = 7.5 nBPW with or without addition of sodium chlorite and stored for 24 hr at 4 °C prior to culturing. Microbial counts from the solutions indicated that residual chlorite can decrease recovery by up to 4 log CFU/mL relative to controls. Acceptable recovery of Campylobacter from nBPW rinses containing residual chlorite may require development of a suitable neutralizing agent in the nBPW recovery medium.
Recovery of viable Campylobacter spp. from broiler carcasses following antimicrobial treatment with acidified sodium chlorite may potentially be compromised when using nBPW as the recovery medium. At neutral or slightly alkaline pH, residual sodium chlorite, an oxidizing species, is not reduced by thiosulfate present in nBPW, and demonstrates antimicrobial effects on Campylobacter. Development of a suitable alternative to thiosulfate as a reducing agent in the recovery medium may be required in to provide optimal conditions for recovery of Campylobacter.
Posted in Campylobacter, food contamination, Food Hygiene, Food Inspections, Food Micro Blog, Food Microbiology, Food Microbiology Blog, Food Pathogen, Food Safety, Food Testing, Uncategorized