Category Archives: Food Inspections

Canada – Good to Go Snack Bars Recalled For Mold in Canada

Food Poisoning Bulletin

Riverside Natural Foods Ltd. is recalling some Good to Go Snack Bars in some Canadian provinces because they may contain mold. Not all molds are dangerous to eat, but some may produce toxins as they grow that cause vomiting and other food poisoning symptoms if ingested. There is no word on whether or not any illnesses have been reported to date in connection with this issue.

The recalled Go to Go Snack Bars were sold at the consumer level in Alberta, British Columbia, New Brunswick, Ontario, Quebec, and Saskatchewan at the consumer level. The recalled bars are Good to Go Cocoa Coconut Snack Bar sold in 40 gram sizes. The UPC number on the product is 6 87456 11119 3. Also recalled is Good to Go Cinnamon Pecan Snack Bar, also sold in 40 gram packages. The UPC number on that product is 6 87456 11121 6.

Good to Go Cocoa Coconut Snack Bars in 9 x 40 gram (360 gram) packages is recalled. The UPC number on that product is 6 87456 11319 7. Finally, Good to Go Cinnamon Pecan Snack Bars, also sold in 9 x 40 gram (360 gram) packages is recalled. The UPC number on that product is 6 87456 11321 0.

All of these recalled items have a long list of best before dates that are included in the recall. You can see those dates at the CFIA web site. The dates are in February, March, April, and May 2020 and vary with each product.

India – 40 jawans hospitalised in Jharkhand after food poisoning

Daiji World

More than 40 jawans have been hospitalised due to food poisoning in the Jharkhand Armed Police Training Centre in Padma, Hazaribagh.

According to police, jawans posted in the training centre fell ill after taking dinner on Thursday night. The jawans were then rushed to the Hazariagh Medical College.

Around 1,130 constables are taking training at the Padma training centre. After training the jawans will be promoted to the rank of Assistant Sub Inspector (ASI).

The jawans started vomiting and complained about stomach pain soon after dinner on Thursday. Later, a dead lizard was found in the cooking utensil.

Ireland – Withdrawal of Tesco Halloween Monkey Nuts Due to Elevated Levels of Aflatoxins

FSAI

Tesco is withdrawing the above batches of its Halloween Monkey Nuts due to the detection of elevated levels of aflatoxins.  This product was supplied to stores for the Halloween Season 2019.  The levels of aflatoxins detected exceed the maximum legal limit, however, health concerns are not expected from consuming the implicated batches.

Tesco Monkey Nuts

India – Boy dies after food poisoning

The Hindu

A minor boy died while his sister and grandmother are reported to have recovered after they consumed food at home which had turned bad. Ellavva of Hanuman Nagar in the district headquarters and her grandchildren were hospitalised after they ate some food prepared at home and took medicine from a local medical practitioner. Later, they were shifted to hospital. While Ravi died while being shifted to a hospital on Thursday evening, Ellavva and her granddaughter are being treated at the hospital and their health was reported to be stable.

Information -Food Poisoning

foodsafety.gov

Food poisoning—any illness or disease that results from eating contaminated food—affects millions of Americans each year. While the American food supply is among the safest in the world, the Federal government estimates that there are about 48 million cases of foodborne illness annually—the equivalent of sickening 1 in 6 Americans each year. And each year these illnesses result in an estimated 128,000 hospitalizations and 3,000 deaths.

Causes of Food Poisoning

  • Bacteria and Viruses: Bacteria and viruses are the most common cause of food poisoning. The symptoms and severity of food poisoning vary, depending on which bacteria or virus has contaminated the food.
  • Parasites: Parasites are organisms that derive nourishment and protection from other living organisms known as hosts. In the United States, the most common foodborne parasites are protozoa, roundworms, and tapeworms.
  • Molds, Toxins, and Contaminants: Most food poisoning is caused by bacteria, viruses, and parasites rather than toxic substances in the food. But some cases of food poisoning can be linked to either natural toxins or added chemical toxins.
  • Allergens: Food allergy is an abnormal response to a food triggered by your body’s immune system. Some foods, such as nuts, milk, eggs, fish, crustacean shellfish, tree nuts, peanuts, wheat or soybeans, can cause allergic reactions in people with food allergies.

Click the link above for more information.

Mexico – Children suffer food poisoning at IMSS health service daycare

Mexico News Daily

As many as 70 young children suffered food poisoning at an IMSS daycare in Guadalajara, Jalisco, on Tuesday.

They are believed to have taken ill after eating tainted panela cheese they were served at lunch at the daycare, operated by the Mexican health service.

Showing severe symptoms of vomiting and diarrhea, the children ranging in age from a few months to 4 years old were taken to several IMSS clinics in the city but were later reported to be in stable condition.

Tainted panela cheese blamed for the outbreak.

Thailand – More than 100 Chiang Mai students hospitalised with food poisoning

The Thiager

There was chaos at Chiang Mai hospitals yesterday when around 130 students were hospitalised with food poisoning. The grade 8 students from Montfort College in Chiang Mai had eaten lunch at the San Sai scout camp when they began showing symptoms of food poisoning, including diarrhea, vomiting and stomach cramps.

There were an estimated 400 students at the camp: about 89 were taken to the local San Sai Hospital and another 50 taken to other Chiang Mai area hospitals. 30 doctors and nurses were dispatched to the camp in Mae Faek subdistrict of Chiang Mai’s San Sai to treat other students who did not require hospitalisation.

Details of the food poisoning remain unclear other than a boiled chicken dish with dipping sauce was served for the children’s lunch.