In a finding that could have millions of people around the world rethinking their makeup regimes, a team of researchers from Aston University have found potentially harmful bacteria in around 90% of cosmetics products. Bacterium detected include dangerous strains such as E. coli and Staphylococci, with the highest traces found on mascara, lip gloss and applicators.
Food Poisoning Bulletin
Riverside Natural Foods Ltd. is recalling some Good to Go Snack Bars in some Canadian provinces because they may contain mold. Not all molds are dangerous to eat, but some may produce toxins as they grow that cause vomiting and other food poisoning symptoms if ingested. There is no word on whether or not any illnesses have been reported to date in connection with this issue.
The recalled Go to Go Snack Bars were sold at the consumer level in Alberta, British Columbia, New Brunswick, Ontario, Quebec, and Saskatchewan at the consumer level. The recalled bars are Good to Go Cocoa Coconut Snack Bar sold in 40 gram sizes. The UPC number on the product is 6 87456 11119 3. Also recalled is Good to Go Cinnamon Pecan Snack Bar, also sold in 40 gram packages. The UPC number on that product is 6 87456 11121 6.
Good to Go Cocoa Coconut Snack Bars in 9 x 40 gram (360 gram) packages is recalled. The UPC number on that product is 6 87456 11319 7. Finally, Good to Go Cinnamon Pecan Snack Bars, also sold in 9 x 40 gram (360 gram) packages is recalled. The UPC number on that product is 6 87456 11321 0.
All of these recalled items have a long list of best before dates that are included in the recall. You can see those dates at the CFIA web site. The dates are in February, March, April, and May 2020 and vary with each product.
Posted in food contamination, Food Hygiene, Food Inspections, Food Micro Blog, Food Microbiology, Food Microbiology Blog, Food Microbiology Testing, Food Poisoning, food recall, Food Safety, Food Safety Alert, Food Spoilage, Food Testing, Food Toxin, mold, Mould Toxin, Moulds, Mycotoxin, Toxin, Uncategorized
Thousands of children are at risk of food poisoning from dirty school canteens where inspectors have found mouse droppings, filthy plates and staff who handle the food without washing their hands.
At least 60,000 children attend schools with dangerous food hygiene levels, according to analysis of data from the Food Standards Agency.
It shows that 207 schools and nurseries need to improve their food safety standards to comply with the law.
This means the schools were given zero, one or two stars out of five by inspectors in England, Wales and Northern Ireland or “improvement required” in Scotland.
Around 170 people who visited Yosemite National Park this month have reported becoming ill with gastrointestinal illnesses, with at least two confirmed cases of norovirus, park officials said Thursday.
The National Park Service began investigating after visitors and employees reported being sick and are continuing to investigate the circumstances surrounding the illness and conduct interviews with affected people.
“The overwhelming majority of the reported cases are consistent with norovirus,” park officials said in a statement.
The majority of those who became ill spent time in Yosemite Valley around the first week of January. Park officials say there has been a decline in new cases in the past several days. While those who reported becoming ill had symptoms of norovirus, park officials say some might have had food poisoning or the flu.
Posted in Contaminated water, Food Illness, Food Micro Blog, Food Microbiology, Food Microbiology Blog, Food Microbiology Testing, Food Pathogen, Food Safety, Food Safety Alert, Food Testing, Food Virus, Norovirus, Uncategorized, Virus, Water, water microbiology
More than 40 jawans have been hospitalised due to food poisoning in the Jharkhand Armed Police Training Centre in Padma, Hazaribagh.
According to police, jawans posted in the training centre fell ill after taking dinner on Thursday night. The jawans were then rushed to the Hazariagh Medical College.
Around 1,130 constables are taking training at the Padma training centre. After training the jawans will be promoted to the rank of Assistant Sub Inspector (ASI).
The jawans started vomiting and complained about stomach pain soon after dinner on Thursday. Later, a dead lizard was found in the cooking utensil.
Posted in food contamination, Food Hygiene, Food Illness, Food Inspections, Food Micro Blog, Food Microbiology, Food Microbiology Blog, Food Microbiology Testing, Food Poisoning, Food Safety, Food Safety Alert, Food Testing, Food Toxin, Uncategorized
Tesco is withdrawing the above batches of its Halloween Monkey Nuts due to the detection of elevated levels of aflatoxins. This product was supplied to stores for the Halloween Season 2019. The levels of aflatoxins detected exceed the maximum legal limit, however, health concerns are not expected from consuming the implicated batches.
Posted in Aflatoxin, food contamination, Food Hygiene, Food Inspections, Food Micro Blog, Food Microbiology, Food Microbiology Blog, Food Microbiology Testing, Food Poisoning, food recall, Food Safety, Food Safety Alert, Food Spoilage, Food Testing, Food Toxin, Mould Toxin, Mycotoxin, Toxin, Uncategorized
A minor boy died while his sister and grandmother are reported to have recovered after they consumed food at home which had turned bad. Ellavva of Hanuman Nagar in the district headquarters and her grandchildren were hospitalised after they ate some food prepared at home and took medicine from a local medical practitioner. Later, they were shifted to hospital. While Ravi died while being shifted to a hospital on Thursday evening, Ellavva and her granddaughter are being treated at the hospital and their health was reported to be stable.
Posted in food contamination, food death, food handler, Food Hygiene, Food Illness, Food Inspections, Food Micro Blog, Food Microbiology, Food Microbiology Blog, Food Microbiology Testing, Food Pathogen, Food Poisoning, Food Poisoning Death, Food Safety, Food Spoilage, Food Temperature Abuse, Food Testing, Food Toxin, Uncategorized