SAITAMA – More than 3,400 elementary and junior high school students and teachers have contracted food poisoning at 15 schools near Tokyo due to school lunches, local authorities said Thursday.
Students started to complain of food poisoning symptoms such as diarrhea and abdominal pain on June 26 after they ate school lunches including fried chicken and seaweed salad at their schools in Yashio, Saitama Prefecture.
Concluding that the food poisoning was caused by school lunches supplied by lunch deliverer Tobu Kyushoku Center, the prefectural government ordered the company to suspend use of its kitchens for three days.
As the number of students suffering food poisoning increased, 377 students were absent from schools on Monday, though none of them were in serious condition.
E. coli bacteria was detected in the feces of some patients by a local health center.
Raw milk produced and packaged by Valley Milk Simply Bottled of Stanislaus County is the subject of a statewide recall and quarantine order announced by California State Veterinarian Dr. Annette Jones. The quarantine order came following the confirmed detection of the bacteria Campylobacter jejuni in the farm’s packaged raw whole milk sampled and tested by the California Department of Food and Agriculture.
From Cape Kidnappers to the Mohaka River mouth, Hawke Bay
Mussels, oysters, tuatua, pipi, toheroa, cockles, scallops, catseyes, kina (sea urchin) and all other bivalve shellfish.
Note, cooking shellfish does not remove the toxin.
Pāua, crab and crayfish may still be eaten if the gut has been completely removed prior to cooking, as toxins accumulate in the gut. If the gut is not removed its contents could contaminate the meat during the cooking process.
Symptoms typically appear between 10 minutes and 3 hours after ingestion and may include:
numbness and a tingling (prickly feeling) around the mouth, face, and extremities (hands and feet)
difficulty swallowing or breathing
paralysis and respiratory failure and in severe cases, death.
Paralytic shellfish toxins have been detected in shellfish at levels over the safe limit of 0.8mg/kg set by MPI. Ongoing testing will continue and any changes will be communicated accordingly.
RASFF – Salmonella enterica ser. Enteritidis (presence /25g) in frozen chicken leg meat from Poland in the Netherlands
RASFF – Salmonella (presence /250g) in almonds from the United States in Germany
RASFF – Salmonella enterica ser. Enteritidis (in 5 out of 5 samples /25g) in frozen chicken wings from Poland in Bulgaria
RASFF – Salmonella enterica ser. Havana (presence /25g) in chilled chicken legs from Poland in the Czech Republic
RASFF – Salmonella (presence /25g) in chilled duck eguilette from Belgium in Belgium
RASFF – Salmonella enterica ser. Infantis (in 5 out of 5 samples /25g) in frozen chicken roll with cheese and bacon from Bulgaria, with raw material from Greece, Germany, the Netherlands and Poland in Greece
RASFF – Salmonella (presence /25g) in black pepper from Brazil in the Netherlands
RASFF – Salmonella enterica ser. Enteritidis, Salmonella enterica ser. Infantis and Salmonella enterica ser. Newport in frozen chicken fillets from Poland in France
Outbreaks of cyclosporiasis, an illness caused by the parasite Cyclospora cayetanensis, occur almost every year in the US, and this summer is no exception. People can become infected with Cyclospora by consuming food or water contaminated with the parasite.Since May 1, more than 206 laboratory-confirmed cases of cyclosporiasis have been reported across 8 states in the Midwest.
Based on interviews with patients, investigators traced the outbreak back to bagged salad mix. The recent outbreak of Cyclospora infections highlights the importance of compliance with the Food and Drug Administration Produce Safety Rule and specifically worker health and hygiene principles.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) have made attempts to better understand the factors contributing to Cyclospora infections. However, many cases of cyclosporiasis cannot be directly linked to an outbreak, in part because of the lack of validated molecular typing tools for Cyclospora cayetanensis.
It is likely, in the future, new analysis methods will be developed to differential strains of Cyclospora, if there is enough genetic diversity. This will allow a way to focus more quickly on illness clusters and more rapid traceback of food vehicles to production sites. This should allow for environmental assessments at production sites to determine routes of contamination and prevention option.
In the meantime, the best we can do is to emphasize the importance of compliance with the Food and Drug Administration Produce Safety Rule, and specifically worker health and hygiene principles.
Garland Ventures Ltd of Garland, Texas is voluntary recalling 1095 cases of Five Cheese Stuffed Shells trays because they have the potential to be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes, an organism which can cause serious and sometimes fatal infections in young children, frail or elderly people, and others with weakened immune systems. Although healthy individuals may suffer only short-term symptoms such as high fever, severe headache, stiffness, nausea, abdominal pain and diarrhea, Listeria infection can cause miscarriages and stillbirths among pregnant women.
The recalled “Five Cheese Stuffed Shells” was distributed nationwide in limited number of retail stores.
The product “Five Cheese Stuffed Shells” comes in 10.76 ounces containing shells with marinara sauce, mozzarella cheese and parsley, and packed in aluminum foil container with clear lid marked lot# F080SS/F090SS on the bottom of label.
No illnesses have been reported to date in connection with this problem.