USA – Listeria Monocytogenes Outbreak Announced; No Food Identified

Food Poisoning Bulletin

A Listeria monocytogenes outbreak has been announced by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Twenty-four people in 13 states are sick. Twenty-two people have been hospitalized, and two people have died.

Listeria Monocytogenes Outbreak Announced; No Food Identified

Research – Scientists Find Harmful Bacteria on 90% of Make-Up

Labmate

In a finding that could have millions of people around the world rethinking their makeup regimes, a team of researchers from Aston University have found potentially harmful bacteria in around 90% of cosmetics products. Bacterium detected include dangerous strains such as E. coli and Staphylococci, with the highest traces found on mascara, lip gloss and applicators.

Canada – Good to Go Snack Bars Recalled For Mold in Canada

Food Poisoning Bulletin

Riverside Natural Foods Ltd. is recalling some Good to Go Snack Bars in some Canadian provinces because they may contain mold. Not all molds are dangerous to eat, but some may produce toxins as they grow that cause vomiting and other food poisoning symptoms if ingested. There is no word on whether or not any illnesses have been reported to date in connection with this issue.

The recalled Go to Go Snack Bars were sold at the consumer level in Alberta, British Columbia, New Brunswick, Ontario, Quebec, and Saskatchewan at the consumer level. The recalled bars are Good to Go Cocoa Coconut Snack Bar sold in 40 gram sizes. The UPC number on the product is 6 87456 11119 3. Also recalled is Good to Go Cinnamon Pecan Snack Bar, also sold in 40 gram packages. The UPC number on that product is 6 87456 11121 6.

Good to Go Cocoa Coconut Snack Bars in 9 x 40 gram (360 gram) packages is recalled. The UPC number on that product is 6 87456 11319 7. Finally, Good to Go Cinnamon Pecan Snack Bars, also sold in 9 x 40 gram (360 gram) packages is recalled. The UPC number on that product is 6 87456 11321 0.

All of these recalled items have a long list of best before dates that are included in the recall. You can see those dates at the CFIA web site. The dates are in February, March, April, and May 2020 and vary with each product.

Research – Can Hard Water & Limescale Increase Legionella Risks?

Legionella Control

CDC legionella

Image CDC

This specialist guide has been written by the water safety experts at Legionella Control International and asks if the presence of hard water and limescale increases the risks from Legionella bacteria and Legionnaires’ disease. The guide looks at the formation of scale in water systems, fittings and appliances and how it can encourage the growth of biofilm and bacteria including legionella. It concludes by reviewing what practical measures can be taken to prevent, or at least reduce the risks that limescale brings with it.

Nigeria – The Prevalence of Food Poisoning

All Africa

The authorities should worry more about food contamination

Although the authorities hardly pay attention, the number of death arising from suspected food poisoning in Nigeria is becoming rather alarming. Last September, a family of six–man, pregnant wife, his three children and a female relative–were found dead of suspected food poisoning in their apartment at Mafoloku area of Lagos State. That this has become a recurring tragedy in Nigeria explains why the recent claim by a Professor of Food Science and Technology, Alfred Ihenkuronye, that no fewer than 200,000 persons die annually of food poison in Nigeria, should compel attention. Indeed, hardly any day comes without reports of some families dying after eating food that may have been contaminated through improper processing, preservation and service. “There are many avenues through which foods can be contaminated. And when people eat these foods, they will have problems which may result in deaths,” Ihenkuronye said.

Research – Youngsters at risk of food poisoning from dirty school canteens

The Times

Thousands of children are at risk of food poisoning from dirty school canteens where inspectors have found mouse droppings, filthy plates and staff who handle the food without washing their hands.

At least 60,000 children attend schools with dangerous food hygiene levels, according to analysis of data from the Food Standards Agency.

It shows that 207 schools and nurseries need to improve their food safety standards to comply with the law.

This means the schools were given zero, one or two stars out of five by inspectors in England, Wales and Northern Ireland or “improvement required” in Scotland.

USA – 170 people ill in possible Norovirus outbreak at Yosemite National Park

The Hill norovirus-1080x655

Around 170 people who visited Yosemite National Park this month have reported becoming ill with gastrointestinal illnesses, with at least two confirmed cases of norovirus, park officials said Thursday.

The National Park Service began investigating after visitors and employees reported being sick and are continuing to investigate the circumstances surrounding the illness and conduct interviews with affected people.

“The overwhelming majority of the reported cases are consistent with norovirus,” park officials said in a statement.

The majority of those who became ill spent time in Yosemite Valley around the first week of January. Park officials say there has been a decline in new cases in the past several days. While those who reported becoming ill had symptoms of norovirus, park officials say some might have had food poisoning or the flu.

India – 40 jawans hospitalised in Jharkhand after food poisoning

Daiji World

More than 40 jawans have been hospitalised due to food poisoning in the Jharkhand Armed Police Training Centre in Padma, Hazaribagh.

According to police, jawans posted in the training centre fell ill after taking dinner on Thursday night. The jawans were then rushed to the Hazariagh Medical College.

Around 1,130 constables are taking training at the Padma training centre. After training the jawans will be promoted to the rank of Assistant Sub Inspector (ASI).

The jawans started vomiting and complained about stomach pain soon after dinner on Thursday. Later, a dead lizard was found in the cooking utensil.