Category Archives: Food Poisoning

RASFF Alerts – Aflatoxin – Nutmeg – Peanuts – Dried Red Chillies

RASFF-Logo

RASFF – aflatoxins in nutmeg from India in the UK

RASFF – aflatoxins (B1 = 9.9; Tot. = 10.6 µg/kg – ppb) in peanuts with shell from Israel in Italy

RASFF – aflatoxins (B1 = 7.0 µg/kg – ppb) in red dried whole chillies from India in the UK

RASFF Alert – Ochratoxin A – Raisins

RASFF-Logo

RASFF – ochratoxin A (15.49 µg/kg – ppb) in raisins from China in Poland

RASFF Alerts – STEC E.coli – Filet Americaine – Chilled Boneless Meat

RASFF-Logo

RASFF – shigatoxin-producing Escherichia coli (stx +, eae + /25g) in filet americaine from Belgium in Belgium

RASFF – shigatoxin-producing Escherichia coli (O113: H21 – stx2+ /25g) in chilled boneless meat from Argentina in Germany

RASFF Alert- E.coli – Coriander

RASFF-Logo

RASFF – high count of Escherichia coli (1500 CFU/g) in coriander from Thailand in Norway

Research – Aflatoxins: a major threat to food safety

Technology Times

Aflatoxins are toxic and carcinogenic mycotoxins found in a range of agricultural products, particularly cereals and nuts. Of especial concern are potentially high levels of these mycotoxins in maize and peanuts, which form part of staple diets in many parts of Asia.

The major fungus producing aflatoxins is Aspergillus flavus. However, another fungus,Aspergillus parasiticus and a few other minor species of Aspergillus can also produce these toxins.

Aflatoxins in crops:

All cereal crops can contain aflatoxins. Intensive cropping practices and decreased genetic diversity in cereal crops probably contribute to increased preharvest infections of commodities with fungi that produce aflatoxins.  Preharvest contamination of crops with aflatoxins occurs in the temperate and tropical regions.

The seeds in growth-stressed plants are the most susceptible to fungal invasion and aflatoxin production. Postharvest contamination occurs worldwide when conditions in the storage unit exist for the growth of Aflatoxigenic fungi. Aflatoxigenic fungi can grow in feedlot manure.

Insects spread the spores of aflatoxigenic fungi to plants and the fungi colonize areas of insect damage. The flower and silk in corn can be portals of entry for species of Aspergillus.

Insect damage, timing of irrigation or rain, relative humidity around the bolls, stage of maturity and variety of cotton can be factors in causing preharvest contamination of cottonseed with aflatoxins.

Australia – Timboon Brie Recall – E.coli

FSANZ

roduct information

Schulz Organic Farms Pty Ltd TA Timboon Dairy/Timboon Cheesery is conducting a recall of Timboon Brie. The product has been available for sale at Timboon Cheesery in Vic.

Use by 05-05-19

Timboon Brie picture

Problem

The recall is due to microbial E.coli contamination.

Food safety hazard

Food products contaminated with E.coli may cause illness if consumed.

Country of origin

Australia

What to do​

Consumers should not eat this product. Any consumers concerned about their health should seek medical advice. Customers should return the product to the place of purchase for a full cash refund.

For further information please contact:

Timboon Cheesery 0491108328 www.timbooncheesery.com.au

Vietnam – 14 Lao tourists hospitalized with food poisoning symptoms in central Vietnam

VNE Express

Da Nang City authorities are investigating the hospitalization of 14 Lao tourists with food poisoning symptoms.

The group of tourists had a buffet breakfast at their hotel in Da Nang before traveling to the nearby Hoi An Town; and had lunch at an out of town restaurant in Cham Islands.

In the afternoon, they began suffering stomach pain, vomiting and diarrhea and were sent to the emergency room at a hospital in downtown Da Nang.

Doctors diagnosed digestive disorders and acute gastritis. All the tourists victims are now in stable condition and were discharged from the hospital Tuesday.

The hospital reported the incident to city authorities.

In 2017, 46 tourists from Laos were hospitalized with food poisoning after having lunch at a restaurant in Da Nang. The restaurant was later fined VND25 million ($1,080) for failing to meet food safety standards.