Category Archives: paralytic shellfish poisoning

New Zealand – Shellfish biotoxin alert for the Bay of Islands in Northland

 

The affected area is inside a line between Cape Brett and Cape Wiwiki.

MPI 

The Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI) yesterday issued a public health warning advising the public not to collect or consume shellfish harvested from the entire Bay of Islands inside a line between Cape Brett northward to Cape Wiwiki.

Routine tests on shellfish samples taken from this region have shown levels of Paralytic Shellfish Poisoning (PSP) toxins above the safe limit of 0.8 mg/kg set by MPI. Anyone eating shellfish from this area is potentially at risk of illness.

New Zealand – Marine biotoxin in shellfish warning issued for parts of the Marlborough Sounds – PSP – Paralytic Shellfish Poisoning

MPI

Map of the Marlborough Sounds, South Island

The Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI) today issued a public health warning against collecting shellfish in the Kenepuru Sound and inner Pelorus Sound, extending outward to Tawero Point and Opani-aputa Point.

Routine tests on shellfish samples taken from this region have shown levels of Paralytic Shellfish Poisoning (PSP) toxins above the safe limit of 0.8 mg/kg set by MPI. Anyone eating shellfish from this area is potentially at risk of illness.

Mussels, oysters, tuatua, pipi, toheroa, cockles, scallops, cat’s eyes, kina (sea urchin) and all other bivalve shellfish should not be eaten.

Note, cooking shellfish does not remove the toxin.

Pāua, crab and crayfish may still be eaten if the gut has been completely removed prior to cooking, as toxins accumulate in the gut. If the gut is not removed its contents could contaminate the meat during the cooking process.

Symptoms typically appear between 10 minutes and 3 hours after ingestion and may include:

  • numbness and a tingling (prickly feeling) around the mouth, face, and extremities (hands and feet)
  • difficulty swallowing or breathing
  • dizziness
  • a headache
  • nausea
  • vomiting
  • diarrhoea
  • paralysis and respiratory failure and in severe cases, death.

If anyone becomes ill after eating shellfish from an area where a public health warning has been issued, phone Healthline for advice on 0800 61 11 16, or seek medical attention immediately. You are also advised to contact your nearest public health unit and keep any leftover shellfish in case it can be tested.

Monitoring of toxin levels will continue and any changes will be communicated accordingly. Commercially harvested shellfish – sold in shops and supermarkets, or exported – is subject to strict water and flesh monitoring programmes by MPI to ensure they are safe to eat.

Find out more

Signs will be erected in the affected areas.

RASFF Alert – Paralytic Shellfish Poisoning (PSP) toxins in chilled live mussles

kswfoodworld food safety poisoning

RASFF-Paralytic Shellfish Poisoning (PSP) toxins (1178 µg/kg – ppb) in chilled live mussles (Mytilus edilus) from Norway