Category Archives: Poisoning

USA – At Least 16 Customers Are Sick After Eating At This Popular Sandwich Chain

Eat This

A new case of suspected food poisoning at a major fast-food chain is being investigated in Illinois. According to the latest reports, several customers have fallen ill after eating at a Jimmy John’s location in Bloomington.

Food Safety News reports that there have been at least 16 cases of illness, 15 of which were student athletes from Illinois State University’s lacrosse team. According to iwaspoisoned.com, a website used for reporting cases of food poisoning, several of them required hospital treatment for fluid replacement because of severe vomiting and diarrhea.

Research – Staphylococcal (Staph) Food Poisoning

CDC

MRSA Staphylococcus KSW Food World

Staph food poisoning is a gastrointestinal illness caused by eating foods contaminated with toxins produced by the bacterium Staphylococcus aureus (Staph) bacteria.

About 25% of people and animals have Staph on their skin and in their nose. It usually does not cause illness in healthy people, but Staph has the ability to make toxins that can cause food poisoning.

People who carry Staph can contaminate food if they don’t wash their hands before touching it. If food is contaminated with Staph, the bacteria can multiply in the food and produce toxins that can make people ill. Staph bacteria are killed by cooking, but the toxins are not destroyed and will still be able to cause illness.

Foods that are not cooked after handling, such as sliced meats, puddings, pastries, and sandwiches, are especially risky if contaminated with Staph.

Food contaminated with Staph toxin may not smell bad or look spoiled.

What are the symptoms of Staph food poisoning?

  • Staph food poisoning is characterized by a sudden start of nausea, vomiting, and stomach cramps. Most people also have diarrhea.
  • Symptoms usually develop within 30 minutes to 8 hours after eating or drinking an item containing Staph toxin, and last no longer than 1 day. Severe illness is rare.
  • The illness cannot be passed from one person to another.

How do I know if I have Staph food poisoning?

You can suspect Staph food poisoning based on the type of symptoms and their fast resolution. Although laboratory tests can detect toxin-producing Staph in stool, vomit, and foods, these tests are usually not ordered except during an outbreak. If you think you might have Staph food poisoning and are experiencing severe symptoms, contact your health care provider.

Vietnam – Woman dies in HCMC after eating toxic vegan pate – Clostridium botulinum

VN Express

kswfoodworld

A 42-year-old woman has died and two others are in critical condition in HCMC after consuming vegan food that might have been contaminated with the botulinum toxin.

The woman, her 16-year-old daughter and 53-year-old sister had bowls of rice vermicelli on March 20. Among its ingredients was pate from an inflated can, indicating possible contamination.

All three women later developed symptoms of muscle weakness, respiratory and circulatory failure. They were rushed from the southern province of Binh Duong to the 115 People’s Hospital in HCMC. While one woman died, the other two were in critical condition as of Thursday.

India – Two-year-old dead, several babies ill due to food poisoning at shelter home in Bengal’s Nadia

New Indian Express

RANAGHAT: A two-year-old baby died and seven others fell ill at a shelter home in West Bengal’s Nadia district on Monday allegedly due to food poisoning, officials said.

The incident happened at the shelter home in Ranaghat’s Rabindra Sarani area, District Magistrate Partha Ghosh said.

The shelter home is run by NGO State Adopted Agency and total 16 babies live there, he said.

However, sources said that the number of babies taken ill is more and the toll may rise as a few babies are critical.

They are undergoing treatment at the Ranaghat Anulia Hospital, Ghosh said.

The babies started falling ill after having food on Sunday night, officials said.

South Africa – Winterveldt learners rushed to hospital after food poisoning

IOL

Pretoria – More than 100 learners from HM Baloyi Secondary School in Winterveldt, Tshwane, were rushed to various hospitals and clinics on Tuesday following a suspected food poisoning.

“We rushed more than 100 learners to clinics. We spent most of the day visiting the various clinics so we are be able to update parents.

“Health inspectors came and took samples. We were surprised and perturbed. In the three years we have been at the school, we have never had such a case. I ate food from the kitchen and also felt sick.

India – 30 OMC medicos hospitalised due to ‘food poisoning’

The Hindu

At least 70 MBBS students staying at the Osmania Medical College hostel, Koti, suffered from food poisoning, and of them, 30 were admitted to Gandhi Hospital for treatment.

The students had consumed food provided by a private caterer on the campus. Condition of the 30 medicos was stable and they were expected to be discharged on Wednesday.

College principal P. Shashikala said the students were dehydrated and hence, hospitalised as a precautionary measure. “We are investigating the matter. Food samples have been sent to the Institute of Preventive Medicine (IPM) for examination. Blood and stool samples are being checked in our college,” Dr Shashikala said.

Singapore – 8 Temasek JC staff hospitalised as 43 ill after eating food from Chilli Api

Straits Times

SINGAPORE – Eight Temasek Junior College (TJC) staff have been hospitalised for gastroenteritis symptoms after eating food prepared by Chilli Api Catering last Friday (March 12).

They are currently in stable condition, said TJC principal Low Ay Nar.

Responding to queries from The Straits Times, Mrs Low said that as of Monday (March 15), a total of 43 staff have reported gastroenteritis symptoms after the school provided all its staff with 216 bento lunch boxes from Chilli Api Catering to thank them for their work in Term 1.

Taiwan – 164 hospitalized in southern Taiwan with suspected food poisoning

Taiwan News

At least 164 students have been taken to hospitals in Pingtung County since Thursday evening (March 11) after developing symptoms of food poisoning.

Students from Donggang Senior High School began to display symptoms associated with food poisoning — including stomach cramps, vomiting, and diarrhea — after arriving home from school on Thursday. The school said it began to receive calls from parents at 11 p.m. and that a total of 231 students had called in sick on Friday.

As of press time, 121 of the 164 students who sought treatment at Fooyin University Hospital and Antai Hospital had been discharged, leaving 43 still hospitalized for further observation. Since all the patients had eaten food sourced from the same supplier, the authorities suspect the outbreak is a case of mass food poisoning and have sent samples of the school lunch to a medical laboratory for analysis.

Thailand – Thailand warns food poisoning and diarrhea from ice cubes in summer season

Pattaya Mail

The Department of Disease Control of Thailand (DDC) is advising people to be careful with what they eat this summer to avoid food poisoning and diarrhea.

DDC director-general Dr Opas Karnkawinpong warns people not to consume certain foods to avoid food poisoning, as 915,289 food poisoning and diarrhea cases were reported during summer in 2020.

He said diners must ensure the food they are served is hot and clean, adding that ice cubes are also carriers of germs.

Norway – Norway reports Salmonella outbreak, 10 people hospitalised

Outbreak News Today

The Norwegian Institute of Public Health (NIPH) is reporting a Salmonella outbreak which is geographically spread over large parts of country.

Twenty cases have been reported–12 confirmed and 8 suspected cases. The same genetic profile have been detected in all 12 confirmed cases. Preliminary analyzes of samples from the 8 suspected cases indicate that these also carry the outbreak strain.

Those affected are aged from 11 to 91 years, median age is 59 years. 60% are women. The infected live in Viken (9), Oslo (3), Innlandet (2), Vestfold and Telemark (1), Agder (1), Rogaland (1), Vestland (1), Møre og Romsdal (1) and Nordland (1). 10 of the cases have been hospitalized.

“The infected live in many different counties. Therefore, we believe that they are infected through a food that is widely distributed”, says doctor Hilde Marie Lund at the department of infection control and emergency preparedness.