Category Archives: Food Illness

USA – Outbreak of Multidrug-Resistant Salmonella Infections Linked to Raw Chicken Products

CDC

Latest Outbreak Information

Illustration of a megaphone.
  • Ninety-two people infected with the outbreak strain of Salmonella Infantis have been reported from 29 states.
    • Twenty-one people have been hospitalized, and no deaths have been reported.
  • Epidemiologic and laboratory evidence(https://www.cdc.gov/foodsafety/outbreaks/investigating-outbreaks/index.html) indicates that many types of raw chicken products from a variety of sources are contaminated with Salmonella Infantis and are making people sick.
    • In interviews, ill people report eating different types and brands of chicken products purchased from many different locations.
    • The outbreak strain has been identified in samples taken from raw chicken pet food, raw chicken products, and live chickens.
  • Antibiotic resistance testing conducted by CDC on Salmonella bacteria isolated from ill people shows that the outbreak strain is resistant to multiple antibiotics. Read the Advice to Clinicians(https://www.cdc.gov/salmonella/infantis-10-18/advice.html).
  • A single, common supplier of raw chicken products or of live chickens has not been identified.
  • The outbreak strain of Salmonella Infantis is present in live chickens and in many types of raw chicken products, indicating it might be widespread in the chicken industry. CDC and USDA-FSIS have shared this information with representatives from the chicken industry and asked about steps that they may be taking to reduce Salmonella contamination.

UK – FSA – Advice – Advice on cooking raw meat following rise in Salmonella Typhimurium

FSA

Advice on cooking raw meat following rise in Salmonella Typhimurium

This comes as we investigate a rise in cases of a particular strain of Salmonella Typhimurium which have been linked to lamb and mutton. We first saw an increase in cases of this particular type of salmonella in July 2017. A number of control measures were put into place which led to a significant decline in cases at the end of that year. A total of 118 cases were reported up until May 2018.

Since June 2018, a further 165 cases have been reported (up to 19 October), which led us to put control measures in place. This hasn’t led to the same decline in cases as in 2017 and so we are now reminding the public about how to cook and handle raw meat.

Colin Sullivan, Chief Operating Officer at the Food Standards Agency said: ‘We are advising care when preparing all meat, including lamb and mutton, to reduce the likelihood of becoming ill with Salmonella Typhimurium. Our advice is to purchase food as normal but to take care when storing, handling and cooking raw meat.

‘People should wash their hands after touching raw meat, avoid contaminating other food in the kitchen by storing it separately in the fridge and using different chopping boards and knives, and ensure that meat, particularly diced and minced lamb, is cooked properly.’

Nick Phin, Deputy Director, National Infection Service, PHE said: ‘The likely cause of the increased numbers of this specific strain of Salmonella Typhimurium is considered to be meat or cross-contamination with meat from affected sheep. People can be infected with Salmonella Typhimurium in a number of ways such as not cooking their meat properly, not washing hands thoroughly after handling raw meat, or through cross-contamination with other food, surfaces and utensils in the kitchen.’

USA – Salmonella Outbreak Linked to Pot ‘O Gold Dairy Raw Milk in Bear Lake, PA

Food Poisoning Bulletin Raw Milk Food Safety KSW Foodworld

A Salmonella outbreak has been linked to raw milk from Pot ‘O Gold Dairy Specialties in Bear Lake, Warren County. That dairy is located in Pennsylvania. The Pennsylvania State Department of Agriculture released information about the outbreak late yesterday.

So far, nine cases of Salmonella food poisoning have been diagnosed and confirmed. The press release did not state the ages of the patients, whether or not anyone has been hospitalized, or the illness onset dates.

The raw whole milk was sold in glass half gallon containers with the Pot ‘O Gold label at 16 stores in these counties: Erie, Crawford, McKean, Warren, and Venango. The milk that was sold from September 10, 2018 to the present is part of this recall.

The milk was sold at these Crawford County facilities: Buck and Kathy in Titusville, D&J Bakery in Cambridge Springs, MIller’s Country Store in Cochranton.It was sold there locations in Erie County: Corry Lumber in Corry, Duran’s Farm Fresh Products in Waterford, Edinboro Market in Edinburg, Orton’s Fruit Market in North East, and Sander’s Market in Corry. The raw whole milk was sold at Circle K Feeds in Kane in McKean County, and at Farmer’s Daughter’s Country Market in Venango County. Finally, in Warren County, it was sold at Kondak’s Markert in Clarendon, Lottsville Miling in Lottsville, Scandia General Store in Scandia, Shell Service Center in Warren, Town and Country Store in Sugar Grove, and Youngsville Hardware in Youngsville.

RASFF Alert -Food Poisoning suspected to be caused by not properly prepared Chickpeas and Beans

RASFF-Logo

RASFF-food poisoning suspected to be caused by not properly prepared chickpeas and beans with insufficient labelling from unknown origin, packaged and labelled in Sweden in Sweden

RASFF Alert – Food Poisoning suspected to be caused by Salmonella in Smoked Marlin

RASFF-Logo

RASFF-food poisoning suspected to be caused by Salmonella in smoked marlin from Italy with raw material from Spain in Italy

Australia – Rockmelon listeria investigation finds outbreak that killed seven largely caused by dust storms – Listeria monocytogenes

ABC Net catalopue

An investigation into a series of deaths linked to listeria on rockmelons has concluded the contaminated fruit came from a single farm in New South Wales, and the outbreak was largely caused by the weather.

Between January 16 and April 10, 22 cases of listeriosis occurred across New South Wales, Victoria, Queensland and Tasmania, which led to seven deaths and a miscarriage.

Key points:

  • The investigation found the farm that was the source of the outbreak had hygiene and sanitary procedures on par with or better than most rockmelon-growing operations
  • Dust storms that covered the farm’s paddocks significantly increased the amount of listeria on the fruit
  • There were other peripheral issues found in the packing facility that were not considered to be major underlying causes

A report released on Thursday by the NSW Department of Primary Industries confirmed those cases were all linked to consumption of rockmelon packed at Rombola Family Farms in Nericon, NSW.

South Korea – Man, 71, had hand amputated when skin started rotting 12 hours after eating sushi – Vibrio vulnificans

New England Journal of Medicine 

71-year-old man presented to the emergency department with a 2-day history of fever and excruciating pain in his left hand that had developed 12 hours after eating raw seafood. He had a history of type 2 diabetes mellitus and hypertension and was undergoing hemodialysis for end-stage renal disease. At the time of presentation, hemorrhagic bullae measuring 3.5 by 4.5 cm had developed on the palm of his left hand (Panel A), and erythematous swelling with confluent tense bullae and ecchymoses had developed on the dorsum of the hand and forearm (Panel B). Surgical intervention was performed urgently, and Vibrio vulnificus was isolated from the bullae. Postoperatively, the patient received intravenous ceftazidime and ciprofloxacin. V. vulnificus can cause skin infections after wound exposure to contaminated seawater, as well as primary septicemia through the consumption of contaminated raw or undercooked seafood. Patients with immunocompromising conditions, including chronic liver disease and cancer, are at increased risk for infection and complications. Despite treatment, the skin lesions progressed to deep necrotic ulcers, and amputation of the left forearm was performed 25 days after presentation. The patient did well after the surgery and was discharged home.