Kyoto Prefecture announced on the 15th that a woman in her 90s who complained of diarrhea and abdominal pain after eating beef yukhoe sold by MEAT & FRESH TAKAMI, a meat dealer in Uji City, Kyoto Prefecture, died. Enterohemorrhagic E. coli O157 was detected in the woman’s stool.
In addition, 22 men and women between the ages of 9 and 87 who ate yukhoe and roast beef at this restaurant complained of similar symptoms, and O157 was detected in 12 people including asymptomatic people. The prefectural government determined that these foods were the cause of the food poisoning.
On August 27, the deceased woman ate yukhoe sold as “rare steak” at home, and developed symptoms on September 2. She died in hospital on the 15th. Twenty-two ate from August 21-26.