Spain – La Manga hotel kitchen closed following food poisoning outbreak

Murcia Today

Public Health has temporarily closed the kitchen of the Doblemar Hotel, located on the Gran Via in La Manga del Mar Menor, after 63 guests were taken ill with food poisoning. Sources have since revealed that the outbreak was originally detected on July 25, but that more cases were reported in recent days and the kitchen was shut this week while the source of the contamination is investigated.
While many of those affected have suffered only mild symptoms, such as nausea, fever or vomiting, as many as 20 of the guests have had to be admitted to hospital.
Food poisoning, or norovirus infection, usually causes gastroenteritis, the most common symptoms of which are stomach pain, nausea, vomiting and diarrhoea. Most people develop symptoms 12 to 48 hours after contracting norovirus, and they can last up to three days. Contagion occurs by coming into direct contact with an infected person, by consuming intoxicated food or water and by touching contaminated surfaces and then touching the mouth with the hands. There is no specific drug against this virus, and doctors recommend drinking plenty of fluids to avoid dehydration.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s