|Source of Information
||Routine Surveillance Programme
||A bottled fruit juice drink imported from New Zealand
|Product Name and Description
||Product name: 100% Raw Apple Juice with Manuka Honey, Lemon & Ginger
Country of origin: New Zealand
Manufacturer: The Homegrown Juice Company
Importer: The Dairy Farm Company Limited
Volume : 1 litre per bottle
Best-before date: June 21, 2020
|Reason For Issuing Alert
- The test result showed that the sample contained patulin at a level of 150 parts per billion (ppb), exceeding the action level of 50ppb adopted by the CFS.
- Patulin mostly occurs in rotten apple and its products. Generally speaking, apple juice with a low level of patulin will not cause acute intoxification. However, studies have shown that gastrointestinal hyperaemia, distension, haemorrhage and ulceration could be resulted if animals are exposed to high levels of patulin over a short period of time.
|Action Taken by the Centre for Food Safety
- The CFS has informed the importer concerned of the irregularity, and the importer has stopped sale and removed from shelves the affected batch of the product and initiated a recall according to the CFS’ instructions.
- Prosecution will be instituted should there be sufficient evidence.
|Advice to the Trade
- Stop using or selling the affected products immediately if they possess them.
|Advice to Consumers
- Not to consume the affected products.
||The CFS press release
Members of the public may call the company’s hotline at 2299 1133 for enquiries about the recall during office