Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH) is warning consumers to take steps to protect their health following an increase in cases of norovirus associated with consumption of raw B.C. oysters.
Since Monday, March 14, more than 50 people have been affected with acute gastrointestinal illness, such as stomach pain, diarrhea or vomiting, after eating raw oysters. Lab testing has confirmed the presence of norovirus in some of the cases and it is suspected in others.
The BC Centre for Disease Control (BCCDC) has issued a notice to restaurants and retailers in B.C. to advise them of the risk.
Based on an investigation by the BCCDC, local and federal agencies, and the shellfish industry, affected harvest areas are being closed and will reopen when contamination is cleared.