||A sample of a bottled fruit juice drink imported from Australia
|Product Name and Description
||Product name: Organic Apple & Blackcurrant Juice
Brand: Pure Tassie
Country of origin: Australia
Importer/Distributor: PARKnSHOP (HK) Limited
Volume: 1.5 litre per bottle
Best-before date: October 6, 2020
|Reason For Issuing Alert
- The test result showed that the sample contained patulin at a level of 260 parts per billion (ppb), exceeding the action level of 50 ppb adopted by the CFS.
- Patulin mostly occurs in rotten apple and its products. Animal studies showed that ingesting high doses of patulin can induce liver, spleen and kidney damage, as well as toxicity to the immune system. For humans, nausea, gastrointestinal disturbances and vomiting have been reported.
|Action Taken by the Centre for Food Safety
- The CFS has informed the importer/distributor concerned of the irregularity. The importer/distributor has stopped sale and removed from shelves all batches of the affected product and initiated a recall according to the CFS’ instructions.
- Prosecution will be instituted should there be sufficient evidence.
- The CFS will alert the trade, continue to follow up on the case and take appropriate action to safeguard food safety and public health.
|Advice to the Trade
- Stop using or selling the affected products immediately if they possess them.
|Advice to Consumers
- Not to consume the affected products.
||The CFS press release
Members of the public may call the importer/distributor’s hotline at 2606 8658 for enquiries about the recall during office hours.