Two people in Romania have been diagnosed with botulism, according to Agerpres, the country’s news agency.
This past weekend, a man went to hospital in the city of Arad and his wife was later diagnosed as being infected. They are believed to have eaten homemade ham.
The news agency reported that there was no antitoxin available so health officials had to get some from Moldova. Both patients remain under observation in hospital.
Botulism poisoning is a rare illness caused by toxins produced by Clostridium botulinum bacteria.
A recent study analyzed the clinical and epidemiological data of patients diagnosed with botulism and hospitalized at one facility in Romania. Findings were published in the journal Environmental Science and Pollution Research.