On February 7, five people with signs of food poisoning were admitted to the infectious diseases department of the Bulungur District Medical Association in Samarkand region in southeastern Uzbekistan.
They were later diagnosed with botulism at the hospital. Despite the efforts of the doctors, one of the admitted, a 20-year-old man, died. Four more are in intensive care.
According to preliminary data, all five the day before, during lunch at the house of one of the victims, they ate canned tomatoes prepared at home.