Five people from two households in New Zealand became ill with ciguatera poisoning after eating fish imported from Fiji earlier this year.
The outbreak in Christchurch affected three males of 19 to 58 years old and two females – one aged in her 40s and the other in her 50s. One person was hospitalized and diagnosed with ciguatera poisoning but has since recovered.
In late May, Krazy Price Mart Ltd recalled a batch of frozen camouflage grouper (kawakawa) due to ciguatoxin. The item was sold as an individual whole gutted fish wrapped in clear plastic but was not labelled so had no date marking. It was available between March 10 and May 21, 2020 only at Krazy Price Mart Ltd in Christchurch.