India – North Paravoor food poisoning caused by Salmonella Enteritidis – 100 + Cases

New Indian Express

Infection mostly caused by consumption of stale meat, chicken, egg and its products

The health department has found that salmonellosis, a disease caused by the bacterium Salmonella Enteritidis, is behind the food poisoning from a hotel in North Paravoor last week. Around 106 persons who consumed mayonnaise, al-faham, manthi, fried rice and peri-peri manthi from Majlis Hotel contracted the disease.

The samples were tested at the Government Medical College, Kalamaserry after several people started showing symptoms like diarrhoea, stomach upset, fever, nausea and vomiting 5 to 6 hours after consuming food.

Around 196 food poisoning cases were reported in the district this month. Following this, the district medical officer has alerted the public, catering services, hotels and food suppliers to avoid preparation of food in unhygienic conditions.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s