North Island warnings
|Reason for alert||Paralytic shellfish poisoning (PSP)|
|Date warning issued||2 July 2020|
|Affected area||From Cape Kidnappers to the Mohaka River mouth, Hawke Bay|
|Shellfish affected||Mussels, oysters, tuatua, pipi, toheroa, cockles, scallops, catseyes, kina (sea urchin) and all other bivalve shellfish.
Note, cooking shellfish does not remove the toxin.
Pāua, crab and crayfish may still be eaten if the gut has been completely removed prior to cooking, as toxins accumulate in the gut. If the gut is not removed its contents could contaminate the meat during the cooking process.
|Symptoms||Symptoms typically appear between 10 minutes and 3 hours after ingestion and may include:
|Other information||Paralytic shellfish toxins have been detected in shellfish at levels over the safe limit of 0.8mg/kg set by MPI. Ongoing testing will continue and any changes will be communicated accordingly.|