UK – Egypt – E. coli ’caused Egypt hotel couple’s deaths’

BBC News

E. coli caused the deaths of a British couple who died after falling ill at a holiday resort in Egypt, the country’s authorities have said.

John Cooper, 69, and his wife Susan, 63, from Burnley, died in the Red Sea city of Hurghada on 21 August .

In an official statement, the Egyptian general prosecutor said post-mortem examinations showed E. coli bacteria was a factor in both deaths.

But the couple’s daughter described the findings as “absolute rubbish”.

Kelly Ormerod, who was at the Steigenberger Aqua Magic hotel with her parents, told the BBC she did not believe the symptoms her parents showed were consistent with E. coli infection .

She added further post-mortem examinations of her parents’ bodies would be carried out in the UK, on direction from the Home Office.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s