USA – Over 100 sickened after Evanston Golf Club event – Cyclospora

ABC 7

More than 100 people fell ill due to a food-borne parasite they allegedly picked up at a suburban golf course, authorities said.

Skokie health officials said they believe it happened during a July 3rd celebration at Evanston Golf Club, which is located in Skokie, where some 950 members and guests gathered for a big picnic and fireworks. Many of them started feeling sick about a week later, and when they compared notes they realized the common thread was the event at the club.

The cause was Cyclosporiasus, a food-borne illness caused by microscopic parasites.

Dr. Catherine Counard from the Skokie Health Department said people generally become ill about a week after ingesting the parasites. Symptoms include watery diarrhea, loss of appetite, nausea and fatigue.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s