Tag Archives: health officials

Taiwan – Norovirus Outbreak

Barf Blog

About 120 tourists in a central Taiwan tourist spot known for its cherry blossoms reported a diarrhea and vomiting outbreak Monday, which health officials said could be a result of norovirus infection.

Both tourists and staff of the Hoya Resort Hotel Wuling in the Wuling Farm reported norovirus symptoms such as diarrhea, vomiting and fever, according to the Taichung City Health Bureau.

USA – Norovirus Outbreak – Gaylord Opryland Resort and Convention Center

Outbreak News Today

In a follow-up to a report last week about the confirmation of norovirus infection linked to the Gaylord Opryland Resort and Convention Center, Metro health officials now say that they have confirmed 3 norovirus cases.

Metro Public Health Department officials have been working closely with Opryland Hotel and the Tennessee Department of Health since being asked by the hotel to investigate the cases last Thursday.

In addition, health officials are focusing on interviewing those who were ill and not ill in an effort to determine common connections in an effort to determine a cause. Interviews are expected to take several days.

The norovirus cases have caused some companies to cancel events scheduled at the Opryland Hotel.

USA – Co-Op City Associated with Legionnaires’ Disease Outbreak in New York City

Food Poisoning Bulletin Legionella_Plate_01

Health officials have found evidence connecting cases of Legionnaires’ disease to the Co-Op City complex in the Bronx. “Although additional testing needs to be done, the association between the people with Legionnaires’ disease and Co-Op city is substantial,” said attorney Fred Pritzker. “Sometimes filing a lawsuit is the only way to get answers.

Since December 2014, 12 cases of Legionnaires’ disease have been diagnosed among Bronx residents, according to the New York City Department of Health. Of these, 8 were Co-Op City residents. Health officials found Legionella bacteria in water used in the cooling towers, according to a department press release. The infected water is used to cool Co-Op City’s heating and electrical systems.

USA – Seal Oil – Clostridium botulinum

Botulism Blog

Alaska news reports a botulism outbreak in Bristol Bay communities is being closely monitored by state and local health officials. The Department of Epidemiology said Wednesday that at least 25 individuals have so far been linked to a batch of contaminated seal oil produced in the village of Twin Hills. Of the 25, several have been hospitalized, some are being monitored, and health officials are still trying to contact others.

UK – Hepatitis A Outbreak in Portsmouth

Heart 96.7 Virusds

Health officials are investigating an outbreak of Hepatitis A in Portsmouth.

Public Health England says at the current time all cases are linked to each other through household contact.

The Wessex PHE Centre has recommended that close contacts of the cases, including household, some children and staff attending the same class groups in school as some cases should receive Hepatitis A vaccination to prevent further spread of this infection.
Read more at http://www.heart.co.uk/southcoast/news/local/hepatitis-a-cases-investigated-in-portsmouth/#vQDTo6gg2spAPPde.99


USA – Salmonella Outbreak at a Restaurant

Food Poisoning Journal

The Appalachian District Health Department says that as of Monday afternoon, 37 individuals had symptoms consistent with Salmonellosis.

Three days after health officials in Watauga County confirmed a salmonella outbreak at a restaurant in Boone, authorities are saying they have seven confirmed cases of Salmonellosis and another 30 who are showing symptoms of the illness. None of those individuals have been hospitalized, authorities say.

The Appalachian District Health Department says the illness originated at Proper Restaurant on South Water Street.

USA – Over 300 Sickened at a Wedding – Clostridium perfringens

Food Safety News Clost

More than 300 people were sickened with Clostridium perfringens from a April 5 wedding in Sullivan, MO, according to the Franklin County Health Department.

Health officials told The Missourian that the cause was gravy that took too long to cool down, allowing the bacteria to grow and emit toxins.

Hours after the wedding, guests were stricken with abdominal cramps and diarrhea.

After food and stool samples tested negative for Norovirus, the state lab sent the samples to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, which confirmed the presence of Clostridium perfringens.

USA – Illegally Manufactured Cheese – 100 Salmonella Cases

Food PoisoningJournal

Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH) Director Dr. LaMar Hasbrouck is warning people about the dangers of consuming illegally manufactured cheeses. Health officials are reporting around 100 cases of salmonellosis in 13 counties believed to be linked to consumption of an illegally manufactured Mexican-style cheese. A sample of the cheese obtained from the home of a person who became ill tested positive for Salmonella. IDPH is working with local health departments to identify the manufacturer of the contaminated cheese.

UK – Scottish E.coli O157 Outbreak Increase to 11 Cases – Link to Burgers

BBC NewsEcoli Istock

A further four cases of the potentially fatal E.coli O157 have been linked to food sold at Glasgow’s Hydro venue.

Health officials said there were now 11 cases linked to burgers consumed at events between 17 and 25 January. All are recovering at home.

The cases are from health board areas in Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Lothian, Highland, Forth Valley and Cumbria.

Anyone who attended the venue recently, and who feels unwell, is asked to contact their GP.

Symptoms to look out for include stomach cramps, diarrhoea (often bloody), nausea and fever.

Canada – Salmonella Outbreak

Global NewsSalmonella

EDMONTON – Health officials in southwestern Alberta are dealing with an acute  outbreak of salmonella. Officials in Lethbridge say there are more than 30 cases, mostly in rural  areas. Many of the infections are secondary ones, meaning it is being spread by  household contact. Symptoms include nausea and vomiting and residents are warned that the most  serious complication is dehydration.