York Region Public Health is investigating an incident that left several people seriously ill and in hospital after dining at a restaurant in Markham over the weekend.
York Region’s Medical Officer of Health, Dr. Barry Pakes, tells CityNews that the eatery currently being investigated is Delight Restaurant & BBQ at Markham Road and Castlemore.
Dr. Pakes said the restaurant had been closed, noting that staff and owners are cooperating with the public health unit. It’s unclear how many patrons fell ill after eating at the restaurant.
“At this time, we cannot confirm the number of individuals hospitalized or the potential cause of the severe illness,” Dr. Pakes said.
The public health unit advised that anyone who ate food from Delight Restaurant & BBQ on Saturday, August 27, or Sunday, August 28, who is experiencing symptoms should seek medical attention.
“This includes individuals who had dine-in, takeout and delivery; please throw out any leftovers or takeout from the restaurant,” Dr. Pakes said.
“Individuals can also contact Health Connection at 1-800-361-5653 Monday to Friday 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. to report their symptoms.”