India – 11-year-old dies, 4 others ill after taking food at Madrasa

New Indian Express

GUNTUR: A 11-year-old boy died of suspected food poisoning and four other children were hospitalised after reportedly having breakfast served at a madrasa in Palnadu district on Saturday. Police said as many as 18 boys were studying at the Islamia Nurul Huda madrasa in Gurazala.

Gurazala Deputy Superintendent of Police (DSP) Jayaram said preliminary investigation revealed that the boys had consumed food that was brought to the madrasa by a local resident, Hafeez, who had held a house-warming ceremony on Friday night. “The five boys ate the leftover food on Saturday morning and took ill after a couple of hours. Initially, we suspected that the roselle used in the food was not properly cleaned, and had pesticide residue,’’ he said. Hafeez is a pesticide dealer.

The body of the deceased was sent to hospital for post-mortem, police said, adding the cause of the death could be ascertained after getting the autopsy report.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s