SINGAPORE: Banquet operations at Mandarin Orchard Singapore’s main ballroom have been suspended with immediate effect after 175 people fell ill with food poisoning and nine were hospitalised, the authorities said late on Wednesday (Dec 5).
The 175 cases were linked to four separate events held at the Grand Ballroom at Mandarin Orchard Hotel between Dec 1 and 3, said the Ministry of Health (MOH), National Environment Agency (NEA) and Agri-Food & Veterinary Authority of Singapore (AVA).
The nine people who were hospitalised are in stable condition.
Investigations are ongoing, said the authorities.
As all the affected people had attended events or eaten meals at the hotel’s Grand Ballroom, and in view of “suspected ongoing transmission,” authorities said the NEA had also suspended the banquet kitchen serving the Grand Ballroom.
The hotel has also been instructed to close the Grand Ballroom to conduct a thorough clean-up and disinfection.