At least 137 nursing and paramedical students fell ill due to suspected food poisoning at a private hostel in Mangaluru’s Shaktinagar on Monday.
The students were rushed to various private hospitals in the city at night.
The students had developed stomach ache, vomiting and diarrhoea since 2 am on Monday.
City police commissioner N Shashi Kumar said that the police are trying to find the reason behind the incident.
“At about 9 pm, around 400-500 people gathered in front of city hospital in the city. Most of them are students and the rest are their family members. Since morning 2 am more than 100 girl students have complained of food poisoning and hospitalised. 137 students were admitted to different hospitals in the city. We are trying to find out the reason,” Shashi Kumar said.