The Gauteng Department of Education (GDE) has been shocked by a tragic incident which resulted in the death of two boy learners on Tuesday 11 September 2018, at Kumalo Primary School, in Katlehong (Gauteng). The said deceased learners, 10-year-old in Grade 4 and 7-year-old in Grade 1, were siblings.
It is alleged that, while in the classroom, the Grade 4 learner complained of experiencing stomach cramps and being nauseous. The learner was taken to the local clinic.
What killed the two learners from Katlehong?
Subsequently, the Grade 1 learner also complained of similar symptoms as the older sibling and was also rushed to the local clinic. Both learners complicated and were unfortunately certified dead upon arrival at the clinic. ENCA report that food poisoning is the suspected cause.