Public health officials in Guatemala have issued a warning as 40 people fell sick after eating dairy products.
The Ministry of Public Health and Social Assistance reported the food poisoning of 41 people after eating artisanal cheese in the town of Ciudad Vieja, in the department of Sacatepéquez.
The first cases were detected on Aug. 9. People with a history of consuming fresh cheese were treated for abdominal pain, nausea and vomiting.
Authorities advised local people to avoid consuming dairy products without knowing the origin and to check the label of the product to ensure it is made with pasteurized milk. These preventative steps should be in place at least until the investigations are completed to determine the origin of the current outbreak to stop more people from getting sick.
They also recommended that the public reinforce hygiene practices such as handwashing, the correct preparation, handling and storage of food, and to seek treatment if they feel unwell.