The health department in Banteay Meanchey province is investigating a case of food poisoning that left 140 students hospitalised in Preah Netr Preah district, where a South Korean charity group on Friday donated vegetable rice packets which are now being tested.
Keo Sophaktra, district health department director, said that 140 students at Pouy Samroung Primary School suffered poisoning and were hospitalised on Friday. He noted that all but six of them have since been discharged.
Mr Sophaktra said the department could not establish why the students suffered food poisoning after the hospital said it doubted that the vegetables in the food packets were the cause.
“We have sent samples to Phnom Penh for testing,” he said. “We doubt that they suffered poisoning after eating from the rice packets.”