Research – What to know about Scombroid Poisoning

Medical News Today

Read the full article at the link above.

Scombroid poisoning is a form of food poisoning. It happens when a person eats fish species containing high amounts of a chemical called histidine.

Histidine is an amino acid that naturally occurs in fish. When people do not keep the fish in a refrigerator, bacteria break down the histidine and turn it into histamine.

Histamine is responsible for the toxicity that causes scombroid poisoning, according to the American Academy of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology (AAAAI).

When a person consumes large quantities of fish with histamine, they experience symptoms that resemble an allergic reaction, such as hives. However, it is not a true allergy to a particular fish, according to the National Capital Poison Center.

The condition usually is not long-term or severe, according to the Food and Drug Administration (FDA)Trusted Source. Mild cases often disappear on their own without treatment, but antihistamine medications may help some people.

A person experiencing severe symptoms, such as chest pain or breathing trouble, should go to an emergency room or call local emergency services.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s