ECDC’s annual surveillance reports provide a wealth of epidemiological data to support decision-making at the national level. They are mainly intended for public health professionals and policymakers involved in disease prevention and control programmes.
- For 2019, 29 EU/EEA countries reported 8 313 confirmed cases of Shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli (STEC) infection.
- The overall notification rate was 2.2 cases per 100 000 population.
- After a stable period, the notification rate increased in 2018−2019.
- The highest notification rates were reported in Denmark, Iceland, Ireland, Malta, and Norway.
- The highest rate of confirmed cases was observed in 0–4-year-old children (10.3 cases per 100 000 population).