Seven members of a family on Wednesday night died of food poisoning in Auki village, Bungidu Local Government Area of Zamfara State.
The family, comprising two housewives and their five children, died after taking their dinner, which was made of tuwon dawa (guinea corn food).
Narrating the incident to The PUNCH, an indigene of the area, Mohammed Mas’ud, said the family developed stomach disorder immediately after eating their dinner, with three of them dying instantly.
Other members of the family were rushed to Bungudu General Hospital, where four of also died.
The Medical Director in charge of the hospital, Dr. Gambo Tsafe, confirmed that the investigation conducted by the hospital had shown that the victims died of food poisoning as a result of consuming contaminated food.
Gambo explained that the deceased were vomiting and stooling when they were brought to the hospital and added that all efforts to save their lives proved abortive.