The number of people sickened with E. coli after eating at a southeast Edmonton restaurant has climbed to 19, including two who have developed symptoms serious enough to be admitted to hospital, Alberta Health Services said Thursday.
That’s a jump of 13 cases from a week ago, when the health authority announced the discovery of the first cluster of infections among people who ate at Mama Nita’s Binalot restaurant.
It’s believed at least some of those new cases are among restaurant staff.
Patrons were infected with E. coli O157:H7, which can produce diarrhea that may be bloody. While most infections clear up on their own in 10 days or so, in a small proportion of cases, the bacteria can cause severe complications such as kidney failure.