A Derby school has been fined more than £20,000 for a health and safety breach which was uncovered after a four-year-old pupil caught E. coli.
Wyndham Spencer Academy, which is in Alvaston, was investigated by environmental health officers after the child was hospitalised with the disease in May 2018.
This inquiry revealed that the school, which is part of the Spencer Academies Trust, did not have robust enough risk assessments in place for the variety of farm animals that are kept on the site.
The trust was subsequently charged by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) for failing to discharge its general health and safety duty to someone who was not an employee.
In court both the HSE and the trust agreed the E. coli case and subsequent hospitalisation could not be linked to the school.
A hearing at Southern Derbyshire Magistrates’ Court on Monday, October 4, was told that while the case could not be linked to a farm at the school which contained goats, pigs and hens, some breaches came to light in the investigation.