As many as 77 people, including children, fell ill after consuming various food items in Chhattisgarh, a health official said on Wednesday. According to the details, all had consumed food items at a weekly market in a village in Rajnandgaon district of the state.
Commenting on the incident, Rajnandgaon’s chief medical and health officer Dr Mithlesh Chaudhary said the market was held on Tuesday in Gatapar Kala village under Thelkadih police station area limits.
As per preliminary information, these people had consumed ‘gupchup’ (pani puri-a spicy snack) and other food items.
Later, in the evening, they complained of uneasiness and vomiting following which they were rushed to a nearby health centre, the official said.
Prima facie, food poisoning seems to be the cause of the illness, the official said, adding that further probe was underway into the matter.