More than 40 persons underwent treatment for diarrhoea and stomach pain allegedly after they consumed ‘prasadam’ served at a temple near Mettupalayam.
S. Cheralathan, Chief Medical Officer of the Mettupalayam Government Hospital, said 18 out of 41 persons who sought treatment were admitted after they had diarrhoea and stomach pain. Two patients admitted were children. He said that condition of all the patients were stable.
“Some kind of contamination or unhygienic handling of the ingredients could have caused the food poisoning”, said Dr. Cheralathan.
It was said that the preparation was reportedly made with expired ghee.