At least 21 people were struck down with salmonella caused by a bad batch of eggs at a restaurant.
The outbreak, which left some diners hospitalized, has caused “genuine distraught” to Food Republic’s co-owner Vanessa Lekkas who said the Blackburn restaurant would no longer serve food made with raw egg products, according to Daily Mail.
“In almost 30 years of working in the industry we’ve never seen this happen,” Lekkas told The Herald Sun.
“We get hundreds of boxes delivered each week, and it looks like one of those contained a bad batch of eggs.”
The Department of Health and Human Services was alerted to the outbreak after a number of people were treated for salmonella at Box Hill Hospital.