UK – Warning to alfresco diners after food poisoning rises in heatwave

The Times

People taking advantage of the hot weather to cook and eat outdoors were told yesterday to take extra care amid a sharp increase in the number of cases of E. coli.

Householders were also reminded to ensure food was being kept in adequate conditions.

A total of 96 VTEC E. coli infections have been recorded in the past ten days, more than three times higher than recorded at the same time last year. VTEC are a type of E. coli that can live in the gut of healthy cattle and sheep. The bacteria are a common cause of food poisoning which can lead to serious complications.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s