India – Check on lamp ghee after suspected food poisoning

The Hindu

It was alleged that lamp ghee was used for preparing prasadam at a temple

The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) is conducting checks across Coimbatore district on the label used for ‘lamp ghee’, a low quality ghee used for lighting lamps, following the death of two women near Mettupalayam, who allegedly died of food poisoning caused by temple prasadam made with the product.

B. Vijayalalithambigai, designated officer of FSSAI, said that lamp ghee sold in shops are checked to verify whether the labelling mentions that the product should only be used for lighting lamps and not of edible quality.

“Labels of lamp ghees checked during the inspections by the officials had labels mentioning that they are made for the use of lighting lamps. Ghee made for such non-edible purpose must bear the label, warning the buyers,”

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s