More than 300 people were treated for suspected food poisoning after they ate Banh Mi, a Vietnamese sandwich sold here.
Morong municipal health officer, Dr. Emma Bugay, said Friday that 160 were admitted to the municipal health center while 160 others were treated in dispensaries.
“They were vomiting and experiencing diarrhea. All of them ate Banh Mi. Some victims who came from remote areas were feeling so weak,” the doctor said.
Banh Mi, Vietnamese for bread, consists of a baguette with tomato, cucumber, onion, homemade liver, pork and butter, among others. It is Vietnam’s most recognized food after “pho”.
Bugay said Morong is noted for the sandwich and not only visitors but even local folks patronize the stores selling it.