An investigation has been launched after children in 45 schools in Caerphilly County Borough were served chicken potentially contaminated with the harmful Listeria monocytogenes bacteria.
Concerns were first raised on Wednesday, November 9, after some kitchen staff reported an unpleasant odour when the cooked chicken slices were opened from their packaging.
According to a letter sent home to parents, the chicken was served at some schools after “quality checks” found no issues.
However, according to the Food Standards Agency the chicken which had the smell was not served and was tested by Caerphilly County Borough Council’s Environmental Health Department.
The samples tested were found to be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes – the bacteria which causes listeria food poisoning